Grace Lutheran Church Monthly News
Please remember to fill out the communion cards so that your attendance can be recorded!
Bible Study Sunday Mornings at 9:30 am
Divine Worship Sundays at 10:30 am Pastor Rod Parker presiding.
Saskatoon Council on Aging presents “Caregiver Workshop-Relieving the Stress of Caregivers” at Saskatoon Fieldhouse on Sept. 21, 2018 1 to 3 pm Registration $10 (includes light refreshments) Call 306-652-2255 to register. View www.saskatooncaregiver.ca for helpful information.
- FaithLife Grant application for raising funds for our Concordia Seminary Adopt-a-student, Joshua Timm, has been approved. During the month of September, we will hold coffee fellowships after Worship Service, and share information about our student with the congregation. End date for donations will be September 24.
Sutherland School Cereal Drive
We continue to collect cereal. Please make sure the Best Before Date is for Fall of 2018. Cereals requested are: Rice Krispies, Vector, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, Special K and Granola.
EGADZ (Saskatoon Downtown Youth Centre Inc.) is preparing for their Christmas party. Please see the wish list posted on the bulletin board at church if you are so moved to contribute.
- Bible Study beginning Monday, September 10th at 7:00 p.m. with the study "Broken". Check out the author Jonathan Fisk on You Tube. Contact Grace Lutheran Church for more info re study or obtaining books. No Bible Study October 1st or 8th.
You are invited to an Evening of Art and Music Saturday, September 29th at 7:00 pm at the Knox United Church (838 Spadina Cres. E.) Admission $25 at door. All funds to benefit Luther Special Care Home, Osler Street, Saskatoon.
- Sunday Morning Studies will begin September 16 at 9:30 a.m.
- Saskatoon Church Curling League is Wednesdays 8:45 pm from October – March at the Granite Curling Club. For more information please call Grace Lutheran Church.
- Humboldt remains in our prayers. "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18
- The Spiritual Care offices at RUH and City are now closed. If you need pastoral care while you are in the hospital please call the office or 306-649-2212 outside of office hours. Also, to assist Pastor Rod when you call please let him know which hospital you are in and your room number, and whether you desire a visit, and/or prayer.
- Secret Prayer Partner group. Please contact Grace's church office if you would like to be a part of this group.
- It is time to update our email roll call again. Please provide Donna with your most current email address and your permission to use it to contact you for special events such as Christmas, Easter and other special services or events.
- This year is Pastor Rod's Attendance Challenge Year: the goal is to attend one more Sunday each month than the month previous! Prayerfully look at your attendance and challenge yourself this year!
- This week's Evangelism Tip is prayer for yourself and others: Pray for opportunities to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, perseverance in sharing, and pray for receptive hearers.
- If you would like to have lunch and/or coffee with Pastor Rod please sign up for days Monday - Thursday! If you would like to have lunch with Pastor Rod and Tammy, please sign up for Sunday! We look forward to sitting down and sharing a meal with you.
- Volunteers Needed!! Volunteers are needed for the tasks on our regular Sunday services. Readers, Greeters, Communion Assistants, and Ushers. Please see Terry Wirth.
- Suggested reading and podcasts for the summer:
- Broken:7 "Christian" Rules that Every Christian Should Beak as Often as Possible by Jonathon Fisk
- Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up? 12 False Christs by Matthew Richard
- He Remembers the Barren by Katie Schuermann
- Mission at Nuremburg: An American Army Chaplain at the Trial of the Nazis by Tim Townsend
- Pontius Pilate: A Novel by Paul. L. Maier
- Suggested podcasts:
- http://issuesetc.org/archive/ has everything from Sunday School lessons to discussions on science, politics, and movie reviews
- www.tabletalkradio.org A semi-informal podcast that features 2 Lutheran pastors talking about a wide variety of topics.
- http://lutheranpublicradio.org/ Sacred music for all times and seasons. This one is part of the Issues, Etc app that you can download and enjoy.