Grace Lutheran Church Monthly News
April and May 2019
Please remember to fill out the communion cards so that your attendance can be recorded!
Divine Worship Sundays at 10:30 am Pastor Rod Parker presiding.
Bible Study Sunday Mornings 9:30 am.
There will no Bible study April 21st or April 28th.
Holy Week is here! The most important week in the church year is made up the Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday services. Please prayerfully considering attending all these services as we repent, remember, commemorate and celebrate the most Holy Week in all of Christendom.
Holy Week Services
Maundy Thursday April 18 - St. Paul's Saskatoon - 7:30 pm
Good Friday April 19th - Grace -10:30 am
Easter Sunday April 21st – Grace – 10:30 am
- We look forward to seeing you in the continuing Easter season!
Lutheran Laymen’s League Fundraiser Supper for the Fair Booth Ministry—May 4th at Smiley’s on Circle Drive; social hour - 5:00 pm, Steak or Chicken Supper - 6:00 pm. Entertainment, raffles, and door prizes. $25/person. Tickets at church office or ask Lorence.
The Lutheran Laymen's League Saskatoon Zone is sponsoring the April 21st LHM broadcast.
Join us a Grace Lutheran Church Mondays, beginning May 6th at 7:00 pm for a Book Study on Mission at Nuremberg. It is Tim Townsend’s gripping story of the American Army chaplain sent to save the souls of the Nazis incarcerated at Nuremberg, a compelling and thought-provoking account that raises questions of faith, guilt, morality, vengeance, forgiveness, salvation, and the essence of humanity. Mission at Nuremberg offers a fresh look at one most horrifying times in human history, probing difficult spiritual and ethical issues. Order your book through Indigo, McNally Robinson, Coles or on Amazon.ca (watch for free shipping).
- Pastor Rod recommends "Hitler's Circle of Evil" on Netflix if you want to do some background work before the study begins.
LWML Zone Spring Renewal is at Holy Cross Lutheran Church May 4th, 9:30 am to 3:00 pm. All ladies are welcome to help them preserve some memories.
- Lenten Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries are available online, as a podcast or through your email. Go to www.lhm.org/dailydevotions and follow the links.
If you have a Hot Wheels track that the church could borrow on June 16th for our car show please let Pastor Rod know.
- Sutherland School Cereal Drive
We continue to collect cereal. Please make sure the Best Before Date is for Fall of 2018. Cereals requested are: Rice Krispies, Vector, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, Special K and Granola. We also collect ice cream pails.
- Humboldt remains in our prayers. "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18
- The Spiritual Care offices at RUH and City are now closed. If you need pastoral care while you are in the hospital please call the office or 306-649-2212 outside of office hours. Also, to assist Pastor Rod when you call please let him know which hospital you are in and your room number, and whether you desire a visit, and/or prayer.
- Secret Prayer Partner group. Please contact Grace's church office if you would like to be a part of this group.
- It is time to update our email roll call again. Please provide Donna with your most current email address and your permission to use it to contact you for special events such as Christmas, Easter and other special services or events.
- This year is Pastor Rod's Attendance Challenge Year: the goal is to attend one more Sunday each month than the month previous! Prayerfully look at your attendance and challenge yourself this year!
- This week's Evangelism Tip is prayer for yourself and others: Pray for opportunities to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, perseverance in sharing, and pray for receptive hearers.
- If you would like to have lunch and/or coffee with Pastor Rod please sign up for days Monday - Thursday! If you would like to have lunch with Pastor Rod and Tammy, please sign up for Sunday! We look forward to sitting down and sharing a meal with you.
- Volunteers Needed!! Volunteers are needed for the tasks on our regular Sunday services. Readers, Greeters, Communion Assistants, and Ushers. Please see Terry Wirth.
- Suggested reading and podcasts for the summer:
- Broken: 7 "Christian" Rules that Every Christian Should Beak as Often as Possible by Jonathon Fisk
- Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up? 12 False Christs by Matthew Richard
- He Remembers the Barren by Katie Schuermann
- Mission at Nuremburg: An American Army Chaplain at the Trial of the Nazis by Tim Townsend
- Pontius Pilate: A Novel by Paul. L. Maier
- Suggested podcasts:
- http://issuesetc.org/archive/ has everything from Sunday School lessons to discussions on science, politics, and movie reviews
- www.tabletalkradio.org A semi-informal podcast that features 2 Lutheran pastors talking about a wide variety of topics.
- http://lutheranpublicradio.org/ Sacred music for all times and seasons. This one is part of the Issues, Etc app that you can download and enjoy.